Archive for the ‘Pregnancy’ Category
Your child will seem particularly savvy for their age or understands all too fast? It may be premature. Next, show the characteristic signs of prematurity, ways to detect it, how to take charge …
- Children Early
Your child will seem particularly savvy for their age or understands all too fast? It may be premature. Next, show the characteristic signs of prematurity, ways to detect it, how to take charge … In short, what you need to know to live with this difference.
What is a precocious child?
“Gifted,” “advance”, “with a high potential,” “intellectually precocious child,” etc.. No missing terms to define children with certain skills. These children differ from the rest because their intellectual development is faster. Its uniqueness is its initial IQ (intelligence quotient), which is equal to or greater than 125, but not the only …
How to recognize a gifted child?
- From small, there may be some clues. First, check that before being a precocious child, has to be a hustler baby, start walking at 12 months instead of at 14, is fluent in at 2 years instead of the 3 and learn to read very fast.
- After a certain age, seeking the company of older people and wants to expand their knowledge by asking questions related to human existence, the universe … A precocious child is also a perfectionist, very anxious and is expressed with fairly elaborate vocabulary for their age. She loves to discover new passions and joke, but it tends to tire of the routine activities.
- A precocious child is an excellent student? You have to know that early is not always synonymous with success in school, but rather the contrary. Although precocious children learn to read quickly and well, often have difficulty writing (dysgraphia). This paradox is due to a mismatch between the mental and psychomotor development (dyssynchrony). But the real learning difficulties begin to appear from the sixth grade. Sometimes, gifted children tend to get bored in class, which usually results in disruptive behavior, absent, or fanciful. So often suffer from dyslexia, school failure, repeated courses …
- We also noticed that children are more prone to early behavior problems. Apart from having an increased sensitivity, psychosomatic problems (headaches, belly, eczema) and sleep problems, sometimes with anxiety, hyperactivity, TOCs (obsessive compulsive), stuttering or various addictions.
Save your child’s behavior and school performance, there are two techniques for detecting precocity:
- The IQ test, conducted by a psychologist, IQ is measured by psychometric tests as reliable scales, Wechsler calls (a test for 3-6 years, one for the 6-17 years old and one for adults) specially composed by an analysis of reading level, a test of personality and the realization of a drawing.
- Questionnaires identification: consisting of comparative tables, serve to differentiate children of school early. They are intended especially for teachers who have doubts about the capabilities of a student.
- In any case, there must be clear that a precocious child does not have to be brilliant at everything. Although mathematics or music you’re good, you may not be good with the drawing.
School track and adapted psychological
Once diagnosed, early maturity, is essential for parents become aware of the peculiarities of his son, both intellectual and emotional, and tell the teachers. There are many solutions.
- For more sociable children, can make a normal course, but skipping classes with a specific monitoring. Also add additional courses at a distance.
- If the child feels uneven front of the children of their age, can be integrated into the school in a specific class for intellectually precocious children, with improved programs and directed by a specialized team.
- Another solution: holiday camps for gifted children. The goal is to relate and make exciting activities together (science, computing, drawing …) to alleviate boredom.
- It should be noted also that psychological care can be recommended to help the gifted child to express themselves and adjust to everyday life.
- Finally, remember that there are associations that provide a great help to the parents and child development.
Priority: medical examinations and procedures
This month, we will monitor closely. The gynecologist will propose a series of tests to detect any possible abnormality in the fetus. Will make at least one blood test. Although not very nice, it is imperative and absolutely necessary.
Blood tests are done to monitor the levels of two hormones:
- HT21: a very high rate of this hormone during the 15 th or 16 th week of pregnancy may indicate a chromosomal abnormality such as Down syndrome (trisomy 21). Depending on your age, the given index and the measurement of nuchal translucency in the first scan (the nuchal translucency measures the area translucent between the muscles and skin of the neck of the fetus, a space that is visible only between 9 th and 14 th week of pregnancy ), and may propose you an amniocentesis. During an ultrasound, the doctor will insert a thin syringe through the abdominal and uterine wall, and take a sample of 15 to 20ml of amniotic fluid that bathes the fetus.
- Dosage of alpha-fetoprotein: this dose to detect a possible spina bifida (a defect of closure of the spinal cord and bone marrow resulting in paralysis and mental disability). If the index is too low or too high, it indicates that there is a problem. Can be determined by amniocentesis. This disease is rare.
During the fourth month, during visits to the gynecologist also be measured SFH.
The uterus is enlarged, which will cause frequent and severe pains in the lower abdomen and may appear in the most unexpected moment. Finally, the doctor will look at the cervix. If it opens, you will undergo a closed cervix.
If you notice ligament pain, burning or pain when urinating, talk to your doctor, because in the first case, for example, can be a sign of abnormality.
Evolution of the baby weight development and acquisition
- During this month, feel for the first time how the baby moves. It is a very special moment. You will notice a small intestinal pain sensation, but not panic, you will learn to recognize it.
- The baby’s body is covered with lanugo (a thin blanket) will disappear with time. Grow your hair and nails. The head, which was far larger than the rest of the body will begin to take the right proportion. It develops the cerebellum. Members are extended the same time. Little hands are completed form.
- The fluid enters and leaves the lungs but has not yet been established respiratory function.
- The sense organs are still developing and nearly reach its full formation. The baby can feel. If you caress through the thin layer of your skin, you feel. Her little mouth moves and refines your taste. Auditory circuit is formed. The baby also notes changes in light, but still can not see.
- Measures about 19 inches and weighs between 200 and 250 grams.
- Perform medical tests listed above. Besides, it is possible, and indeed only in the fourth month the sex of the baby. Of course, you may wish to keep the suspense until the time of delivery.
The advice is the same as for previous months.
- Avoid taking medications.
- Eat lots of fiber and drink plenty of water. Know that high production of progesterone significantly slow intestinal transit.
- It also recommends eating 80 grams of protein per day, half plant, half animal, because you will share with the baby. From the second trimester, the baby eats about 9 grams per week.
- For the sake of your body and baby, provides trace elements, vitamins and nutrients.
- Vary the power and tries to take four meals a day: breakfast, lunch, snack and dinner. Avoid heavy meals, spicy and fried foods.
¿Girl or boy? The second scan (end of month) is needed more than anything to see the genitalia of the fetus. It is also a very emotional moment, which sometimes results in division of opinion between you and your partner. Speak to him and decide if you prefer to know the sex of your child at this time or wait until the big day. One thing is certain: At this time the fetus becomes a real human being, a young woman or a man. It’s time to start thinking about a name for your baby
When labor does not occur as planned, the use of caesarean section is sometimes inevitable. Previously used only in cases of urgency, but now increasingly practiced more, but raises certain problems. What impact can have on the mother? What about the baby? Let’s look at the situation …
Why perform a cesarean section?
> When natural childbirth is not possible for several reasons:
- The mother’s pelvis is too narrow
- The baby is too large to pass naturally
- Presented in a bad position, front, transverse or breech
- There is an obstacle in the baby out, for example, fibroids, cysts or placenta previa, which prevents the baby can be.
> Need to terminate a pregnancy before the time for the good health of the child or the mother:
- Child’s illness (diabetes, toxemia or growth retardation)
- Maternal hemorrhage
- Multiple birth
- Mother’s illness
- Rh incompatibility
> Need to finish the game:
- Too tired of the mother, preventing cardiovascular problems carrying out the work
- The cervix does not dilate more
- Baby’s head is placed in the pelvis
- Too important fetal distress, detected by monitoring.
This is an operation that takes place in the delivery room, but in the operating room. To act best in the abdomen, and then in the uterus, shaving pubic hair and put a catheter into the bladder to not disturb the surgeon during the operation or perforated. The skin of the abdomen is disinfected. The surgeon then affects the skin first, then the muscles of the abdominal wall and then into the uterus. Then he proceeds to take the baby and immediately the placenta.
Second, different fabrics are sewn with thread or staples incised, which removed between 5 and 7 days later. The procedure lasts about 1 hour or 1 hour 30.
Caesarean section performed under epidural or general anesthesia in cases of extreme urgency, as the epidural takes 15 minutes to take effect.
The post-operative care
After cesarean section performs a control of the mother. Fatigue is generally more important than after a vaginal delivery. Recovery can cause abdominal pain, and may even need a special regime. Scarring also can be painful, especially with contractions after birth. However, being hidden behind the pubic hair, the scar is not too important cause aesthetic problems. Acquires its final appearance after about 8 months, but not be exposed to the sun before the expiry of one year.
Regarding the relationship with the baby, milk may take longer to climb due to fatigue. The care devoted to the mother and the baby just after birth can also lived badly, because they cause the separation. Going home is usually done within a week. The recovery of normal activities should be gradual and slower than a natural birth but in most cases, cesarean section is not just a memory after a month.
Cesarean section and experience of the mother
Depending on the case, cesarean section may be provided in advance or be necessary in the course of labor, a fact that changes, obviously, the perception may be the mother, who will have had time to prepare for this eventuality. On the other hand, many mothers say they have the feeling that they have been “stolen” the delivery.
Too many C-sections?
Although practice with increasing frequency, reaching in some clinics an index above 25% (as opposed to 15%, which is the normal rate according to experts), cesarean section is not an act bland. Infectious complications post-natal care for mothers are 3 times higher than natural labor.
This increase is explained by cesarean number of reasons:
- A better consideration of fetal distress during labor
- Increased awareness of the risks of some babies even natural childbirth, children very large or very low birth weight, breech presentations, premature.
- Increased risk pregnancies, especially with twins and late.
- Increased demand for mothers who leads physicians to selecting the less risky for the baby and the mother, rather than a long and difficult birth.
- Progress in surgical techniques and anesthesia.
Long gone and the time when women wore her pregnancy and gave birth without medical supervision at home! Currently waiting for a baby is a highly controlled period, with 7 mandatory testing. Consider the medical control during pregnancy.
The first consultation
It should be at 15 weeks of amenorrhea, ie at 13 weeks of pregnancy. It is the most important, you will complete a medical questionnaire to take stock of your overall health.
It is a comprehensive study, taking into account your medical history, surgical, gynecological and obstetrical, and how you are living the beginning of pregnancy.
The doctor will try to determine the date of conception and will ask about family history which may influence the development of pregnancy (allergies, hereditary diseases …).
The doctor also monitors your weight, your heart, your legs and your blood pressure.
Will also perform a pelvic exam, breast and neck with the speculum, and a Pap smear if necessary, and obstetric care (vaginal palpation of the uterus).
You can also perform an ultrasound to check the location of the embryo in utero, as well as their appearance and heart rate.
The doctor will also request a blood test, the results get. This analytic enables:
- Completely determine the blood group
- A numbering blood count and platelets,
- Serology for rubella and toxoplasmosis, HIV and, if necessary, for hepatitis C.
A urine test to determine the presence of albumin and sugar, and detect infection or renal failure.
Need another consultation with your doctor to discuss the results. Then have a visit every month to take stock of developments in your health since the first time.
Consultation of the 4th month
A gynecological exam is performed. They look at the nature of the cervix, its size and the baby’s heart. Also performed a comprehensive review of your health and a urinalysis.
Each month you will be weighed and will draw blood if you have not vaccinated against toxoplasmosis, to verify that you have not contracted.
Maybe the doctor will also propose a psycho-social consultation if deemed necessary during the 4 th month.
Check the 5th month
Morphological ultrasound is performed, to detect possible defects. At this point the doctor will suggest if you want to know the sex of the baby. The doctor may also propose you a blood test for trisonomía 21.
Consultation month 6
In addition to the usual tests, we performed a serology for hepatitis and diabetes possible, and to study the agglutinins (antibodies) in women with irregular Rh negative. If you are Rh negative and your partner Rh positive, you will a vaccine.
Consultation of the 7th month
Routine visit to check that all is well.
Month 8 Consultation
In this control, normally done by the obstetrician takes place the third ultrasound. It also examines the pelvis to prepare for delivery.
We also perform an analysis of albumin in the urine every 10 days to detect a toxemia of pregnancy or urinary tract infection.
A vaginal biopsy to study Streptococcus B.
Consultation of the 9 th month
It is the last before the big moment! The obstetrician will determine with you, if conditions allow, the mode of delivery, especially if the baby is breech.
In addition, during the last two months of your pregnancy, you have a date with the anesthesiologist to prepare the best possible delivery.
Consultations are free. The procedure, from the first consultation, is to forward the declaration of pregnancy that the doctor will give Social Security before 14 weeks.
Then, on each query sent to the Social Security leaf disease that will give the physician.
When you pick the low, it sends the certificate to the Social Security.
Your baby is three months, it is becoming more awake, he likes to listen and watch you. Begins to differentiate better when to sleep and eat. Drowsiness almost constant from the beginning gives way to periods of sleep, and periods in which is very clever, especially late in the day.
Your baby during the third month
It measures about two feet and weighs about 5kg800 if boy and girl 5kg500 if. Try to pick up objects with hands and starts kicking constantly, especially when you see it. Every time imitates more, and is beginning to have their first attack of laughter. His head circumference grows about 1.5 cm. Teeth will not until the sixth month, but the activation process of saliva usually begins around this time.
The eczema, an inflammatory disease of the skin, often located in the joints, may be associated with itching after three months. Treatment is usually the application of a steroid-based ointment prescribed by a doctor during 4-8 days when you have an acute flare.
The baby will have different required vaccines against diphtheria, tetanus, polio, hepatitis B, pertussis and meningitis.
The awakening of the baby
The baby begins to have a three-dimensional visual space and tries to grab objects given its size and the distance you are. Now clearly distinguishes all parts of an object and the surface roughness. With three and a half months, visual acuity is excellent and lets you see objects at 5 cm from their eyes. It also develops their ability to hold things with his hands. It’s time to make a thousand games when you’re awake for the child to work its capacity for imitation.
Breastfeeding usually develops normally with 5-6 doses during the day and night arrest of 6-8 hours. The shots last between 20 minutes to an hour depending on the baby. If baby takes a bottle, place about 5 shots of 150g. The preparation and the type of milk do not vary. The baby will increasingly hungry, but do not worry if it refuses to take the shot and not weight.
The mother-child separation
This period usually coincides with the end of maternity leave. Whichever way you choose to care for the baby (child care, nanny …), the separation will be less severe if done gradually and if the mother is blamed for leaving her baby, as it is a feeling stress that could pass the baby. It is also very important that you take the time to spend with your partner, a task not always easy during the first months when you become parents. A happy couple has much more to give the child to make it happy.
Exercise during pregnancy offers several benefits: self-esteem and increases energy levels and wellbeing, improved sleep quality and ensures a short hospital stay after delivery, and that exercise increases the tone, strength and elasticity muscles of the abdomen and pelvis, stimulate circulation and give you mental and emotional balance.
During this period, abdominal exercises are contraindicated with weight, high impact and, of course, extreme sports. The best thing to do is walk, swims, bike and backed some yoga poses.
Baby on the Way
The prescription of an exercise program should adapt to anatomical and functional changes experienced by each woman during her pregnancy. They consider their state of health, fitness and sports preferences. For example, women who exercise regularly may continue their sport with slight modifications and spaced training. Walking is the optimum for a sedentary woman, while in a case of high-risk pregnancy, it is best to avoid any type of exercise.
The ideal is to restrict the exercise during the first quarter, as it is the time of implantation (the fertilized egg moves into the uterus to start their growth) and embryogenesis (the baby begins to form). When passing this period see the doctor to assess your pregnancy as a personal trainer to design your exercise routine. Here we suggest one that you can use.
Lying on your back, place your legs stretched out on a cushion, with the ankle and make 10 small circles in and out so many. Perform 10 sets of 10 circles each ankle.
Note: This exercise is recommended only for the first two trimesters of pregnancy.
Stretches to warm up
Put yourself standing in front of a wall and supports the palms of your hands on it. Gently stretch your arms. Separate your legs gently. Then take one of them, slightly bent, stretched forward and one back. Hold for 10 seconds and execute the movement with the opposite leg. Do three sets of stretches with each leg.
Do 25-30 minutes of brisk walk. You can also use the treadmill, the elliptical or stationary bike with backup (only 20 minutes and with less resistance to level two). Another option is to walk in the pool or swim crawl. Take care not to exceed the 140 beats per minute.
Note: restricts aquatic exercise in the last six weeks to avoid the risk of infection.
all these exercises (except the first) should be done sitting on a chair with back and keeping your feet firmly on the floor. Do three sets of 12 repetitions.
Put your legs up to your hips and bring your hands to the waist. Move your hips from front to back. Inhale when the hip is back and exhale when you are in front. Another option is to make circular movements controlled in the form of eight.
Place your arms extended upward, flexural and direct the elbows to the floor. Arms up and down in this same position until the starting point.
make a slight bend in your legs to run a controlled squat. Take care that the movement is smooth.
Extend arms forward at shoulder height, and cross your arms, placing his hands on the opposite arm. Press gently with your hands.
Reach your arms toward the ceiling and interlace your hands. Bend your elbows back of your head. Hold for three seconds and return to starting point.
bring your arms in front, with the palrnas of hands up, and bend your elbows to form an angle of 90 degrees. Hold for three seconds, then lower, and then raise the arms.
When you go through the process of pregnancy should not neglect your body, exercise during pregnancy helps you look after your health, reduce fatigue, fight depression and keep the figure that all this will help you have a speedy recovery after childbirth
You can exercise during pregnancy, as long as there is no threat of abortion. If a woman exercising in the early months this will help avoid becoming overweight.
Water is the ideal for women because it provides freedom of movement, so the mother can take positions and make movements on land it would be laborious.
* It is recommended from three months of pregnancy.
* Helps eliminate excess water and prepare the muscular system, providing a physical and mental wellbeing.
* Strengthens the muscles and joints
* Prevent injuries that could occur out of the water.
* Controls emotions and improves mood, relaxes the mind, reduces stress levels and stress.
* Improves blood circulation, prevent varicose veins and reduce swelling of the ankles.
When you go swimming during pregnancy, you will acquire greater status to the time of delivery and reduce pain during childbirth because the muscles have been worked.
Because the movements are under water, the spine and joints tension. In addition, water pressure reduces the risk of injury for both mother and baby from trauma or sudden movements, as it prevents push the limits.
Before you start to go swimming during pregnancy you should get a medical study to see if the pregnancy is normal or has some risk. In this way the instructor know what kind of exercise wear.
Tips you should follow:
* Use a comfortable swimsuit that does not hurt your stomach
* Perform activities with slowness of movement
* Work in a low-intensity aerobic plan
* After 8 months this activity is not advised
* Avoid diving, jerking or quick changes of direction
* The heart rate should not exceed 140 p / m
* Have a good nutritional program
The risks of physical activity during pregnancy are:
- The increase in fetal temperature
- Lack of oxygen to the fetus, there is increased blood flow to the muscles of the mother.
- The reduced availability of carbohydrates for the fetus because the mother used as fuel during exercise.
To feel secure when doing physical activity with your obstetrician first platicalo. The benefits are:
- Increased level of energy (aerobic fitness)
- Less stress cardiovascular
- Prevents you from excessive weight gains
- Facilitation of labor
- Faster recovery of labor
- Good posture improves
- Prevents back pain
- Improves mood and body image
It is essential to obtain medical approval before starting, choose exercises where you have to hold the weight of your body, such as cycling.
Avoid exertion during the first quarter, humid and hot, takes fluid before, during and after exercise, do not exercise when you’re fatigued, rest breaks during the activity help reduce the risk of hypoxia (reduced oxygen available ), he knows the reasons for stopping exercise and consultation with your obstetrician quickly if they occur.
it is very important to know the diseases that may occur while you are pregnant. Most of these situations require rest and diet during the gestation period, and other care. The following are the most common complications:
* Multiple Pregnancy: After eight weeks the ultrasound can diagnose a multiple pregnancy. Pregnancy is a risk because it is associated with premature birth. In addition, depending on whether the pregnancy is twins, each case requires different treatment. The best, in any case, follow the directions of your doctor.
* Rh Disease: The blood of each person can have positive or negative Rh factor. This disease comes into play if the mother is negative, positive parent and child inherits a positive factor. This baby will have no problem, but in this case, the mother should receive postpartum gamma globulin as a precaution. This substance prevents the formation of antibodies in the mother’s body that can destroy the blood of a future second child, provided that their baby will have Rh positive.
* Placental abruption: Occurs when bleeding originates in the area between the uterine wall and placenta that causes detachment of the same before the baby is born.
* It is a serious complication that usually occurs during the last trimester of pregnancy. The part of leaves detached placenta to provide oxygen to the baby needs. To save the baby in this situation, which is irreversible, it should be an emergency cesarean.
* Placenta previa: is the name given when the placenta is anatomically located in front of the baby’s head covering the hole in the neck. This is often up to 20 weeks of pregnancy, but as the uterus grows the placenta moves to a position. If you remain poorly situated to the due date will be impossible to deliver vaginally.
* Premature rupture of bag: The name given to the leakage of amniotic fluid on the genitals without triggering labor. It is common in the last weeks of pregnancy. The germs that invade the amniotic fluid can cause an infection in the baby.
* Polihiramnios: Named to the excess of amniotic fluid. Its causes can be due to a large baby or multiple babies, or be a consequence of maternal disease such as diabetes or a baby’s condition as so-called congenital malformations. It can also appear without cause and the baby can be completely normal. In any case, the main consequence of excess amniotic fluid may be a premature birth.
* Oligohydramnios is the decreased amount of amniotic fluid. Possibly this occurs due to congenital malformations in the fetal urinary tract. You can be the cause of a baby is very underweight.
* Anemia: Red blood cells contain hemoglobin, a substance that carries oxygen from your lungs to all tissues of your body. During pregnancy, there is a slight decrease in hemoglobin concentration if excessive, are anemic. This does not affect the baby.
* Gestational diabetes only during pregnancy remains a consequence of the influence of placental hormones. Dr. Bernal reported that treatment of gestational diabetes is based on a strict diet of carbohydrates, and sometimes it is necessary to administer daily insulin injections.
* Preeclampsia: Named to the hypertension induced by pregnancy. It develops in women who previously were hypertensive, from 20 weeks of gestation. It is a disease dangerous to both mother and baby, who may suffer a decline in growth.
When comes the second you’re not a first-frightened by the uncertainty of events to come. You’ve had the experience of being pregnant and almost nobody pays the same attention as the first time. Do not worry; here are some tips for you to take great!
* Think positivo.Lo first thing to note is that yes, I’ve been through a pregnancy, but this may not be the same. You can always be better and worse.
* Do not play hard, now part of pregnancy already have a child in the world that you subtract the energy you need to be rested, especially the first few months? Try the rest of the family take care of him, without his note that you will take up less.
* Question of weight. Beware, not elk heavyweights that includes the king of the house. It’s not harmful to your unborn baby; the reason is that your back, which already supports more weight than normal, may suffer. You do not want to give you sciatica down, no?
* Do not try to cover everything: child, home, work, pregnancy … Do you really believe you superwoman? She does not exist and you do not have super powers (although your child so created).
* Phew! What a relief … Let them see your husband and immediate family when you’re tired you really need to rest. Sometimes they are not aware of the work and energy that is carrying a healthy pregnancy.
* Act as first-ypregúntale your doctor any questions you have. This pregnancy will not have to be same as above and if anything happens to you that had not happened to you do not stand to eat eat.
* Do not feed your fears. Now that you know everything that you expose yourself and what you face, do not be thinking all day. Everything will be fine.
* Inheritance … When you near the time and between nest syndrome and start cleaning like a madwoman … Take a look, wash and iron everything you can serve your eldest son, skirts, dress, coos, baby towels , cute sheets, sheets for a walk, newborn bibs, bodysuits, pijamitas …
* Someone is coming. Enjoy the moments you are with your older child to talk about his brother and that will become aware of the new baby, explain that your life will change a bit, he’s going to be the biggest and you will have to help take care, wash … It starts to give importance to when the baby does not feel displaced and take its place more naturally.
* Savings. No need to buy or car, or crib, or changing or bottle warmer or sterilizer, or bath, or hammock, or practically nothing. What do you give away you friends? Ask things that really do hope, you have everything!
* A tip. As you know that your body is again the same time, buy a new set for the big day when you re-enter your jeans. At home you have to keep looking radiant.